Welcome to the archive of the John Barleycorn blog, produced by Howard Gayton and Rex Van Ryn during the process of creating their graphic novel John Barleycorn Must Die. As part of that process, you'll find discussions of magic, of creativity, and 'Around the Table' discussions with a range of internationally known artists, writers and film makers. The graphic novel was printed in a limited edition, so if you managed to get one, good for you! Although this project is over now, we're leaving this blog online as an archive and as a snap shot in time.

Friday, 15 April 2011

ad referendum

H - Today then, Rex, we are posting pencils of the pages where we meet our magician John Barleycorn for the first time.
R - Yes. It’s very exciting.
H - As we pointed out last week, they are not finished pages. In fact some of the ones in the middle are a bit rough.
R - Yes, they’re scribbles.
H - Yeah, I can see that, Rex. That’s what I’m saying.
R - No. That’s the term they use in the industry, ‘scribbles.’
H - Oh, right, I see. I so often forget that you worked in the industry and you actually know what you are talking about.
R - How so?
H - Well, you do such a good job of disguising it most of the time.
R - Why you…
H - On with the show!



- 28 -



- 29 -


- 30 -



- 31 -



- 32 -



- 33 -



- 34 -


- 35 -




- 36 -



- 37 -






5 comments:

  1. If that's what you call a scribble then I can't wait to see the finished artwork! It's going to be stunning. Am deliberately not reading the story as I want to wait for the book but it's fascinating to be let in on the process and you're both reigniting in me a long-suppressed love of graphic novels.

    The magic is working.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in awe of comic book artists. Frame after frame of amazing dynamic scenes and angles...I have enough trouble getting it together for one painting! I'm afraid I haven't got Andy's patience, I'm reading as I go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait for the whole story....amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to see the sketches! Interesting to spy the marking out of the "golden section" in the top right of the last page to focus our eyes on the gaze... am I right?
    Awfully clever drawings... Bravo!
    I too am waiting for the whole story before reading properly :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm late catching up with this but, ah finally! John Barleycorn himself! Excellent!!!!!!

    And well worth the wait.

    Love the "scribbles" and love the story. Thank you again, gentlemen. You never disappoint.

    ReplyDelete