Welcome to The Barleycorn Experience!

In it’s first life, this blog detailed the making of the graphic novel, John Barleycorn Must Die, which was originally published in 2013. Just as we were ready to promote it, however, Rex Van Ryn took off on his Abramelin quest; a two year journey into the heart of self and magic.


On his return, he brought back not only the finished art work for the English Magic Tarot, but also what he claimed was the ‘key’ to the John Barleycorn project.


“This book,” he said, “is not so much a graphic novel about magic, but more a book about magic in graphic novel form.” With that, he revealed the new cover.


Due for a relaunch in the Autumn of 2017, John Barleycorn Must Die, unlike any other book on magic, is not a practical manual, but rather a deep look at the magical principles and philosophies that underly all magical practices, for those with the eyes to see.


As we build up to this relaunch, we will be posting updates on our daily lives, the progress of the launch of the English Magic Tarot, and various discussions on magic. Please root around this blog, and enjoy all the postings from the past, including the famous ‘round the table’ discussions with various artists, film designers and writers.


We hope you enjoy the Barleycorn Experience.

Friday, 16 November 2012

Our first interview, Part 2:





H: Rex, the second part of our interview is now on-line at BBP Creations!

R: It is...and it's all about me, Howard.

H: That’s right. 

R: And though I say so myself, I think I come over rather well! I'm clearly still popular on both sides of the Atlantic.

H: Indeed. (And so modest, too!) Though I should warn you, Rex, that the polling I commissioned in Asia, Africa, the Middle East and the Antipodes show the opposite trend. 

R: In fairness, those countries have never understood me and my work....

H: So if readers would like to hear more from Rex go to BBP Creations -- where you’ll also find other interviews with many other interesting artists, including friends of ours: Steve Dooley (who I'm in a band with), Bobby Gilbert (who I'm in another band with), and Sam North (who I'm not in a band with), the creators of the excellent app The Wind in the Willow. Also, our friends Brian & Wendy Froud and Elizabeth-Jane Baldry discuss the creation of their meditation app, Pathways to Faery.


3 comments:

  1. Agreed - a most interesting interview indeed. Rex is famous!

    Signed: The Real Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well!! Superb Interview, Excellent skills, Rex is Rock....
    Regards: terrylleonn

    ReplyDelete